The cloister of the former convent of Sant Domènec in Peralada.

The cloister of the former convent of Sant Domènec in Peralada.

This 12th-century Romanesque monument is the only witness that remains of an ancient Augustinian monastery founded in the second half of the 11th century. Extinct the primitive community, in 1578 it was acquired by the order of Saint Dominic, where the current name is. The capitals and columns belong to the cloister of the primitive Romanesque monastery, but the construction dates back to the 16th century.

The capitals are rich in a diverse theme that combines plant and geometric motifs with zoological figures; There are five historians: Adam and Eva, Atlantis, Hunting, Banquet and Capital Sins.

In 1835, following confiscation, he went to the City Council, and since then he has had many functions: hospital, court, barracks and even cinema.

The building that surrounded the cloister, a large bastion rebuilt in the 18th century, was demolished during the 60s of the 20th century. It is currently the most important public architectural element in Peralada. Next to it and after the purchase of an annexed estate, the City Council created the center of cultural tourism in the city in 2001.

Utilizamos cookies para facilitar el uso de nuestra página web. Las cookies son pequeños ficheros de información que nos permiten comparar y entender cómo nuestros usuarios navegan a través de nuestra página web y, de esta manera, poder mejorar consecuentemente el proceso de navegación. Las cookies que utilizamos no almacenan dato personal alguno ni ningún tipo de información que pueda identificarle